The original Wattle and Daub cottage was built in the late 1850′s with a large stone chimney which remains today as part of the current cottage.
Alluvial gold was discovered in October 1868 and within the first week 2000 people had rushed to the area. At its height within the first few weeks, the rush attracted up to 4000 people. By 1871 mining ceased as new discoveries of gold were found at Mount Pleasant and Birdwood.
However, the remnants of this era can still been seen today in the surrounding area.
Our family arrived from England in 1840 as free settlers and built a farm at Hay Gully, not far from Enerby. Our children are the sixth generation to grow up in the Barossa Goldfields.